One of the most important courses you could ever take is first aid training. It prepares you in the event of an emergency. Should a potentially fatal situation arise, you will have the knowledge and confidence to deliver life-saving assistance. This is why many employers require their workers to undertake training. In addition to workplace settings, the skills you learn in a first aid course are also invaluable in everyday situations.
Here at the Australian Training Institute, we offer nationally accredited courses to equip individuals with life-saving skills. All individuals are welcome to join these courses. We’ve put together this guide with everything you need to know about our courses.
1. Asthma & Anaphylaxis Training Course
This is a course designed to meet the set requirements under the National Quality Framework for Asthma and Anaphylaxis Management in an education and care setting. It includes 2 units from ACECQA’s approved list, namely 22556VIC Course in the Management of Asthma Risks and Emergencies in the Workplace and 22578VIC Provide First Aid Management of Anaphylaxis.
How does an asthma & anaphylaxis training course benefit you?
The unit on Asthma Management provides you with the knowledge to recognise an asthma attack. It also equips you with the skills to provide first aid assistance to the individual. In this course, you learn how to hold blue reliever medication in a first aid kit for asthma emergencies, enabling you to administer prescribed medications correctly.
The unit on Anaphylaxis Management touches on the skills required to assist a person suffering an anaphylactic reaction until medical assistance arrives. In this unit, you will be trained to the proper use of adrenaline auto-injecting devices. You get to learn how to recognise, manage, prevent and minimise risks related to allergic reactions and anaphylaxis.
Read more about our Asthma & Anaphylaxis Training Course here.
2. First Aid Training Course
This is a nationally accredited course that provides participants with the qualifications to be a First Aid representative in work settings and other required situations. It is focused on real Safety Scenarios that participants can put into practice. This course runs for 3.5 hours and is done in a blended format, including online training and a face-to-face practical session.
How does a first aid training course benefit you?
Throughout this first aid training course, you will learn about the following:
- Bandaging techniques
- Breathing difficulties
- Burns and scalds
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Fainting and unconsciousness
- Head, chest and spinal injuries
- Poisoning, bites, stings, etc.
- Providing basic emergency life support
The online training involves working through modules before attempting a final exam, which will test your knowledge.
Participants are to perform a minimum of 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on a manikin placed on the floor, and there are no exceptions that can be made as this is a mandatory requirement. If you are unable to perform the physical requirement, you cannot be deemed competent.
3. CPR Training Course
Our CPR Training Course is designed to equip participants with the right skills to provide resuscitation assistance to a non-breathing casualty until the arrival of qualified medical assistance. This course is delivered by our fully-accredited trainers. This course runs for approximately 2 hours.
Like with our first aid course, participants also have to perform a minimum of 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on a manikin. We can’t make any exceptions to this as this is a mandatory requirement.
How does a CPR course benefit you?
In this online and face-to-face course, participants get to learn about:
- Airway assessment
- Assessment of danger
- Causes of collapse
- Rescue breathing
- Complications associated with rescue breathing
- Signs of life
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Introduction to defibrillation
Learn more about this CPR course.
4. Childcare First Aid Training Course
This course is designed to comply with the requirements for CPR, Asthma and Anaphylaxis Management, and First Aid for anyone working in a care or education setting. It equips participants with the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to both adults and children.
Educators and support staff working within an education and care setting are encouraged to take this course. This course runs for 4 hours and is done in a blended format, including online training and a face-to-face practical session.
How does a childcare first aid course benefit you?
Here are the following topics and competencies covered in this Childcare First Aid Training Course:
- Assessment and management of emergency situations
- Applying life support skills in accordance with Resuscitation Council guidelines
- First aid management for an emergency situation
- Operation of automated external defibrillator
- Common allergic and non-allergic asthma triggers
- Signs and symptoms of an asthma attack
- Infection control principles and procedures
- Providing asthma first aid management
- Using asthma bronchodilator medication using a spacer
- Defining the term allergic reaction/anaphylaxis
- Developing risk minimisation strategies
- Management strategies for asthma/anaphylaxis
- Signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction
- Risk factors
- Providing first aid management of severe allergic reactions and anaphylaxis
- Using adrenaline auto-injector devices
You may visit our page on Childcare First Aid Training to learn more about this.
5. LVR Training
We also offer a course on performing a rescue from a live LV panel to equip participants with the skills to manage emergency situations. At the end of this course, participants are expected to manage a casualty involved in a live low voltage panel until emergency services arrive.
How does LVR training benefit you?
We cover the following topics:
- Identifying and controlling risks and hazards
- Using the fire blanket
- Providing safety equipment
- Maintenance of equipment
- General principles of low voltage rescue
- Low voltage rescue procedures
- Removing the victim and one-man drag method
- Securing the incident scene
- General burns, flash burns, electrical burns, airway burns, and bleeding
- Reviewing and monitoring treatment of victims
- Safe performance of live electrical work
Upon completion, participants will be issued with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment. Find out more about this LVR training course here.
Enrol in a First Aid Course today!
You never know when life-threatening emergencies occur. Equip yourself with life-saving skills and techniques by undertaking a first aid training course here at the Australian Training Institute. We are a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) specialising in First Aid training. Other first aid courses we offer include:
- HLTAID013 – Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site
- HLTAID014 – Provide Advanced First Aid
- HLTAID015 – Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy
- HLTAID016 – Occupational First Aid
- HLTPAT005 – Drug and Alcohol Testing Course
Australian Training Institute‘s campus is located in 7/51 Brighton Rd, Sandgate QLD 4017 and is just a few minutes away from the Deagon, Brighton, Virginia, Clontarf, Brendale, Strathpine and Chermside.